Drupal 8 Architecture Overview
What is Drupal?Drupal is the most powerful CMS and open source in the market. It is built on top of PHP. Competitors are Joomla and Wordpress on open source. When it comes to paid resources on the content management systems, a couple of other high traffic CMS available in the market like Sitefinity, Sitecore, and Sharepoint.
There are few other advantages over drupal like vast community, open-source, serving a long period in the market and provided different solutions for respective domains. On community support get benefits out on the following areas on the development.
- Development including theming and contribution modules
- Drupal community assembles the different experts in a common forum on drupal.org
How Drupal 8 different from Drupal 7?
|Drupal 7||Drupal 8|
|It is built on top of core PHP||It is built on top of Symfony Framework|
|Templates are built on PHP template files||Templates are built on TWIG template files|
|There is no text editor is built in the Drupal core.||CKEditor is present in Drupal core|
|The only limited field supports on Drupal core||It has more extensible new filed support|
|Limited language support on Multilingual||It has many language support compare with drupal 7|
|Views are in drupal core||It is in drupal core|
|There is web service support on Drupal core||It has in-built support for web service creations|
|JS and CSS loading was not optimized respectively to the need||Improved web page loading techniques|
Drupal 8 Architecture Diagram
There is a huge transformation before Drupal 7 to Drupal 8. Drupal 7 is built on top of Core PHP with PHP Template files. Theming engine has improved in Drupal 8, It uses a new engine called TWIG. Overall Twig is the excellent add-on to Drupal 8, it improves the whole drupal ecosystem.
Symfony plays major roles in Drupal 8. The complete platform is built on top of Symfony framework.
Highlighted Features on Drupal 8
- Breakpoint Media Queries for Responsive Web Design
- Easy to install with hundreds of language support
- Better user experience for content update
- Preview for contents
- View in core
- Export entities as JSON / XML
- Inline editor
- Layout Builder support (with Drag and Drop Features)
- Configurations are stored in files format (YAML)
- Better Template Engine (TWIG)
- Robust Framework as a base (Symfony)
- Enable by default for CSS and JS Aggregations
- HTML5 Supports
- Improved Entity caching
- Drupal Console is added advantage as CLI Tool.